I am someone who is slow to open up to people. I speak with my colleagues only if need arises and a little during lunch. If you expect me to rant on, you will have to be my friend for at least 1-2 months. (Yes, tested ;)). I think that is why I find people who speak a lot very irritating.
- I once met a guy in bus. He used to give me life lessons. Told me that I was not enjoying my life because I left office at 6'o clock while he left office at 5'o clock. He then gave explanations of how he enjoys his life by leaving office one hour earlier than me.
- I meet a girl in bus stop every morning. We get at most 5-7 minutes to speak. Last Friday I asked her what she was doing over the weekend. She lodged into a 4 minute (yes, I timed it) explanation of how she goes to movies or stays at home and explained in detail what exactly she does at home. She was not yet finished and our bus arrived. (Thank Jejus)
- I once met a guy who told me the entire story of Dhoom 3. (If you think the movie is boring why do you think it would make an interesting story during a conversation ?)
- I still meet this guy on bus. He told me what all he bought for his brother who was going to USA for higher studies. He could have just told "clothes" but noo. He gave me a detailed description of each formal shirt, t-shirt, collared t-shirt, jeans, formal pants, nightwear, sweaters, thermal underwear (I am not making this up) and also where exactly he bought it from and why exactly he bought those. He has a loud voice.
What was I doing ? To put it in short, this was my thought process
"Ok....Okay dude.....smile and nod.....Okay, I get it............I get it..........I GET IT...............Stop.........oh please stop.......don't make me hurt you.........if I interrupt you now and tell you I am not interested to know then both of us will be feeling awkward and I don't like it so please stop...... .STOP.....PLEASE STAAAAPPPHHH...I think I will have an ice cream today...wonder what is going to happen in the next episode of tumhari paakhi.......have to buy a new pair of earrings.....you forgot to call the tailor again god you are so forgetful these days......maybe a butterscotch cake from sweet chariot will jog that memory right up!! hahaha.....smile and nod.....okay"
People who speak a lot are sometimes irritating, yes, but conversations with people who speak less are sometimes boring.
- My colleague has a 3 month old baby. Today's lunch conversation went like this
Colleague - *something* had *something something* loose motion in the morning.
Me - Is it because of something you ate ? Is that why you din't come to office yesterday ?
Colleague - My son had.
Me - Oh
*awkward silence till we finished our lunch*
- Me - Hi
Colleague 1 - Hi
Me - Reading any novels lately ?
Colleague 1 - Yes. *Tells some malayalam novel name.*
Me - Ok.
He does not ask me the same question and thus the conversation ends.
This happens mostly with my colleagues because I just try to do small talk.Writing about these conversations would be boring.
I don't know. I seem to have a problem with both kinds of people. But, that said, I would select being bored to being irritated any time of the day. At least I would be allowed to speak a little. I am sure that I can find something mutually interesting to speak because, well, I am awesome like that. :)
So what kind of person are you and what kind of a person would you choose ? :)